- Marie Roch
- San Diego, CA
- Research Interests:
- San Diego State University, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- About mroch:
- Professor Marie A. Roch received her Ph.D. degree from The University of Iowa. Prior to joining San Diego State University, she held positions at Florida International University and AT&T Bell Laboratories. Professor Roch's research interests are in pattern recognition, particularly as applied to the categorization of audio signals. Sample projects include pattern recognition for bioacoustics using passive remote acoustic sensors, classifier control systems for hearing aids, diarization, and high level speaker recognition.
Other areas of interest which are not active research areas for Professor Roch include computer vision and telephony.
- 1. M. S. Soldevilla, M. A. Roch, E. E. Henderson, G. S. Campbell, S. M. Wiggins, and J. A. Hildebrand, "Classification of Risso’s and Pacific white-sided dolphins using spectral properties of echolocation clicks," in press, J. Acoust. Soc. Am.
2. K. Madhusudhana, E. M. Oleson, M. S. Sodevilla3, M. A. Roch, J. A. Hildebrand, “Frequency based algorithm for robust contour extraction for blue whale B and D calls,” in Proc. IEEE Oceans, Kobe, Japan, April 2008.
3. M. A. Roch, M. S. Soldevilla, R. Hoenigman, S. M. Wiggins, J. A. Hildebrand, "Comparison of machine learning techniques for the classification of echolocation clicks from three species of odontocetes," Canadian Acoust. Vol. 36(1), 2008. Postprint available.
4. M. A. Roch, R. R. Hurtig, T. Huang, J. Liu, and Sonia Arteaga, “Foreground auditory scene analysis for hearing aids,” in Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 28(11), pp. 1351-1359, Aug, 2007.
5. M. A. Roch, M. S. Soldevilla, J. C. Burtenshaw, E. Henderson, and J. A. Hildebrand, “Gaussian mixture model classification of odontocetes in the Southern California Bight and the Gulf of California,” in J. Acoust. Soc. of Am., Vol. 121(3), pp. 1737-1748, March, 2007. Postprint available.
6. L. Girod and M. A. Roch, “An overview of the use of remote embedded sensors for audio acquisition and processing,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM 2006), San Diego, CA, December 2006. Postprint available.
7. M. Roch, “Gaussian-Selection Based Non-Optimal Search for Speaker Identification,” Speech Communication . Vol. 48(10), pp. 85-95, January 2006.
8. M. Roch, R. R. Hurtig, T. Huang, and J. Liu, “Audio Scene Analysis as a Control System for Hearing Aids,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM 2005), Irvine, CA, pp. 772-778, December 2005.
9. M. Roch, R. R. Hurtig, J. Liu, and T. Huang, “Towards a Cohort-Selective Frequency-Compression Hearing Aid,” in Proceedings of The International Conference on Mathematics and Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Sciences, Las Vegas, NV, pp. 164-170, June 2004.
10. M. Roch and Y. Cheng, “Speaker Segmentation Using the MAP-Adapted Bayesian Information Criterion,” in Proceedings of Odyssey04, The Speaker and Language Recognition Workshop, Toledo, Spain : ISCA, pp. 349-354, May 2004.
11. M. A. Roch, “Gaussian selection based non-optimal search for speaker identification,” invited paper, in Proceedings of the Special Workshop in Maui, January 2004, CD-ROM.
12. M. A. Roch, “A Gaussian-selection based preclassifier for speaker recognition,” in Proceedings of the Pan-American/Iberian Meeting on Acoustics of The Acoustical Society of America and The Mexican Institute of Acoustics, December 2002, CD-ROM.
13. M. A. Roch and R. R. Hurtig, “The integral decode: A smoothing technique for robust HMM-based speaker recognition,” IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, Vol. 10(5), pp. 315-324, July 2002.
14. M. A. Roch, A. E. Rosenberg, and F. K. Soong, “The use of pitch contour information to improve text-dependent speaker verification performance,” Tech. Mem. BL011526-951228-18TM, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, December 1995.
- History of Education and Employment
- San Diego State University 2001-present
Scripps Institution of Oceanography 2007-present
Florida International University 2000-2001
Bell Telephone Laboratories 1987-1995
PhD University of Iowa
This user hasn't posted any Pubcasts or Videos yet.