Have you always wanted to make a video commercial that would be seen by thousands of people? Here’s your BIG opportunity! The San Diego Science Festival is seeking a 30-second commercial (spot) to support the Festival’s central theme of "Excite Your Mind.” We are partnering with nationally recognized science video site SciVee, where you can upload your video and view the competition.
HOW TO ENTER:
The rules are simple: The video must be up to 30 seconds long and include each of the following:
You can also click here if you would like to download the high-resolution logos in pdf format.
To download a 10-second video tag in Quicktime that includes these logos, please right click and select "save target as/save link as", SDSF 2010. Windows users may need to download this utility to work with this file: Quicktime Decoder
Participation is open to all ages and skill levels. The commercial must be original work and can not violate any copyrights or trademarks in any way.
Judging will be by members of the San Diego Science Festival advisory board and a panel of UCSD and High School students. Videos will be judged on how well they communicate the Science Festival theme of “Excite Your Mind” as well as overall concept and originality, entertainment value, and production quality.
Timetable: The contest starts 12:01am PST, Friday, February 12 and all submissions are required to be uploaded by 11:59pm PST, Saturday, March 13. Judging will be completed by March 25 and the winner will be recognized and have their commercial aired at PETCO Park on EXPO DAY, Saturday, March 27 on the stadium’s large screen monitors for over 50,000 people. Additional prizes will be announced in March for videos that place First, Second, Third place.
Here’s how to upload your video:
1. Go to http://www.scivee.tv/uploadvideo and login to Scivee. You will need to register if you're not already a user on SciVee.
2. Follow the video upload process:
Mark your entry as a "video only."
Give your video’s title, a short description, and list its authors/producers
Choose the appropriate audience and subject areas.
3. When asked to enter “tags”, make sure you put SDSF-2010.
4. Click “finish” and you'll be automatically entered into the contest.
Voting for your favorites is easy. Go to the First Annual SDSF Video Commercial Contest site at www.scivee.tv/node/15881. Make sure you are logged into the SciVee site and then view the videos. Click the star rating you prefer under each video that you review. A “Thank You for Voting” notice will appear and your vote will be recorded. You may only vote once for each video.
Good Luck, Have Fun and Excite Your Mind!
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULESNO PURCHASE NECESSARY
Void Where Prohibited
HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 A.M. PACIFIC on Friday, February 12, 2010. The Submission for new videos ends 11:59 PM Pacific on Saturday, March 13, 2010. The contest officially ends at 11:59 P.M. PACIFIC on Friday, March 25, 2010. San Diego Science Festival, a program of the Regents of the University of California (HEREIN REFERRED TO AS ‘THE CLIENT’), reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time between 12:01 A.M. PACIFIC on Friday, February 12, 2010 and 11:59 P.M. PACIFIC on Saturday, March 13, 2010.
To enter go to http://www.scivee.tv/uploadvideo and follow instructions to submit your original video. You will be required to create a login and profile with Scivee in order to participate. Once the video is submitted and approved, the video will be live on the Scivee website. The Client is not responsible for lost, late, ineligible, or incomplete entries or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of The Client and none will be acknowledged or returned. The Client may reproduce entries for use in promoting this contest, any aspect of the San Diego Science Festival, or science festivals nationwide. By entering, entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium or (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING -- Determination of contest winners involve a 3-step process:
(a) INITIAL REVIEW: In the first step, The Client will review all submitted videos to determine which submissions will proceed to the second step. This initial review will judge all videos based on originality, creativity, consistency with the San Diego Science Festival’s public image and goals, inclusion of required contents, and appropriateness. In this context, a video will be considered “appropriate” only if, in the sole judgment and discretion of The Client, the video would not damage the reputation of the San Diego Science Festival, the University of California, or any other involved group/agency, or cause any embarrassment of any kind. There is no limit to the number of videos an individual or team can submit.
(b) ON-LINE VOTING: Each login at Scivee may submit one vote per video, on a 1-5 star rating system. Voting outcomes will not determine winners but will provide significant information concerning public preferences and feedback.
(c) The Client’s internal committee will determine the final three prize-winners, in The Client’s sole discretion. The Client’s staff reserves the right to select a winner based on its judgment of the most appropriate video. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Any use of a “spider,” “robot,” or any other computer program designed to modify voting data will result in total disqualification of the user. We reserve the right to remove any user or video deemed to benefit from non-human voting. Decisions of the judges are final and binding. The winning videos may be featured on The Client Website properties.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older, or from 13 through 17 years of age where the participant has the consent of a parent or legal guardian to participate in the promotion. Proof of parental consent will be required before prizes can be awarded to participants younger than 18 year of age. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of The Client, or their promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible to win. Winners are subject to validation by The Client.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: If any cash prizes are awarded, ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Prizes are awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. Limit one prize per person or household.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Participation in any part of the contest constitutes full and unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the contest judges. No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except The Client reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at The Client’s discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate The Client or Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of The Client which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents and warrants that any videos and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such videos and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to The Client an exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license to edit, publish, promote, produce, publicly display, sell, republish, alter, edit, and make derivative works at any time and otherwise use entrant’s submitted video, along with entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by entrant, in any and all media, now existing or developed in the future, for any purpose, including without limitation editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law).
Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for The Client and its agencies to use Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and video for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, entrants and winners agree to hold The Client, The sponsor, and their promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assignees harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, their participation in this Contest, the videos submitted, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, or copyright or trademark infringement. False or deceptive entries or acts, as determined by The Client in its sole discretion, will render the Entrant ineligible. The Client, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and un-restricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which The Client deems likely to subject The Client, entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon The Client in any way. If such information is discovered by The Client after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, the prize may be rescinded in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled may be withdrawn. Decisions of The Client are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. The Client is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Neither The Client nor Scivee.tv is responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by The Client, Sponsor, or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering (including by way of example automated voting), unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, The Client reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process or any entry that has been the subject of such tampering by third parties, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. The Client reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, The Client reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of California without giving effect to any conflicts of laws rules which may result in the application of the law of any other jurisdiction. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of San Diego.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.